Customer caught Sonic restaurant storing bread in their bathroom

Sonic+Facebook

By KAKE

Reports of food stored in an unexpected place at a Topeka restaurant have gone viral. The picture, which was posted to Facebook, shows stacks of hamburger and hot dog buns being stored in the restroom of Sonic Drive-In.

Many of you shared the image with 13 NEWS over the past couple of days. It was originally posted by Josh Benteman on Wednesday. Benteman said he first spotted the buns when his kids, who were playing in the drive-in’s playground, had to use the restroom.

The man said he filed a report with the Department of Agriculture.

13 NEWS contacted the Sonic corporate offices on Thursday. They told us the owner of that franchise, which is located at the intersection of SW 29st Street and SW Gage Blvd., investigated the incident.

The franchisee told the chain that “an employee made an error by storing the bread racks in the restroom for 30 minutes,” according to Sonic’s Manager of Corporate Communications Jason Acock. He said as soon as the manager found the buns in there, they were immediately taken out of the store and discarded.

Health inspectors went to the restaurant first thing Friday morning and “found no issues with food safety,” Acock said.

“Sonic and its franchisees primary concern has been, is and will be keeping customers safe by serving safe, wholesome food and drink,” he continued.

Acock noted that the restaurant’s owner plans to counsel the employee and will provide more training for the entire staff.

Read More!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *